Crucial Review - UPDATED Feb. 2019
Founded in 2003, Crucial is a company focused on providing quality hosting solutions to Australia’s small business owners. Since its foundation, Crucial has become an industry leader in VPS hosting, deploying more than 7000 virtual servers in 13 years. Read this comprehensive Crucial Web Hosting review to learn more about the company’s plans and features and determine whether this hosting provider can meet your specific hosting needs.
- Australian based servers located in Sydney use cutting edge technology for high performance and reliability.
- No data is stored offshore, which guarantees data protection under Australian laws.
- Crucial provides the best VPS solutions on the market; both managed and barebone options are available.
- There are no lock-in contracts.
- Servers run CloudLinux for increased performance and security.
- The company provides one-click installs of the most popular software (WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, Wikis) through Softalicious.
Crucial’s shared hosting comes with cPanel for simplified access and an easy-to-use control panel, which is a great solution for both novice and advanced users. The company also provides automatic backups to keep your data safe in case anything unexpected happens. In addition, restores are available for just $40 each. For added security, Crucial includes a CloudFlare plugin and all of the company’s services run CloudLinux. It’s easy to add WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, and lots of other great apps with Crucial’s easy installer, Softaculous.
The company’s reseller plans include cPanel/WHM. They also come with the CloudFlare plugin and include around-the-clock DDOS protection. You can install your own third-party SSL certificates for free, but if you’re not sure how it’s done, you can pay $20 for supported installation.
When it comes to VPS, Crucial claims to have deployed over 7,000 Australian-owned and operated VPSs since the company’s inception. Additionally, its Managed VPS plans come with a 10-day money back, 100% satisfaction guarantee. Apart from this guarantee, Crucial offers a 30-day money-back guarantee on all its other hosting services. The company has a 99.9% uptime guarantee – and, as you know, uptime is of vital importance for a small- or medium-sized business.
Plans & Prices
The most basic hosting plan starts at $19.90 per month. What’s more, you’re never locked into a contract, which means you’re free to upgrade at any time if you need a different plan or even cancel if you ultimately decide that Crucial’s services aren’t right for your needs. Crucial offers one plan whose cost varies depending on the term length you select — prepaid monthly, every 3 or 6 months, or yearly. It includes 50GB of storage space and offers unlimited data transfer and email accounts, along with 10 addon domains and unlimited sub-domains.
VPS hosting is Crucial’s main selling point and is available in 3 different packages, including Barebones, Control Panel, and Managed. All three include SSD storage and DDOS protection. Depending on your comfort level and experience, these packages each provide as little or as much hosting assistance as you’d like. The Barebones plan has 3 options that range between 1 and 4GB VPS and you can choose between Linux or Windows.
- Barebones VPS: Starting at $29.90/month, you get exactly what the name suggest – root access gives you complete control over your server. You can choose which operating system to install, but this plan does have one major drawback – limited support. Support is available only in case of network issues.
- Control Panel VPS: Starting at $99.90/month, you get cPanel/WHM and root access.
- Managed VPS: Starting at $249.90/month, this plans gives you limited cPanel/WHM access. You get a dedicated account manager, premium backups, monitoring, and proactive server updates.
Reseller hosting has just one plan, again with a cost that varies with the term rate you choose. This plan provides 25GB of storage and gives you the ability to create and manage hosting accounts for up to 50 customers.
Customer & Technical Support
Crucial offers 24/7/365 online support. They also offer telephone tech support via a 1300 number; however, telephone support is only available Monday through Friday from 8 am to 6 pm (AEST). The company also has a helpful Knowledgebase you can refer to should you run into any problems. It is easily searchable and features a wealth of information.
Furthermore, Crucial also offers Remote Support, where its TeamViewer can allow tech support members access to your computer (with your assistance) to help solve an especially challenging issue.
The bottom line is that Crucial provides truly exceptional customer support to its users, boasting a helpful and friendly support staff and short response times, as well as several other options that can help you deal with any problem you might encounter.
As one of the leading web hosting providers on the market, Crucial is dedicated to providing the best possible services. To show customers that it is confident in its performance, the company offers a 30-day money back guarantee on shared and reseller hosting. This means that you can get a full refund if you cancel your plan within 30 days of purchase. As we already mentioned in this Crucial Web Hosting review, Crucial also provides a 10-day money back guarantee on VPS hosting, which is enough to test out the provider’s services and decide if it is the right choice for you. Bear in mind that neither guarantee is valid for SSS certificates, domain name registration, site migrations, and similar services.
- Fastest VPS on the market
- Great customer service
- High uptime
- Expensive hosting plans
- Cheaper plans have limited features