1&1 Review - UPDATED Feb. 2019
1&1 is one of the world’s leading web hosting providers, known for its affordable and comprehensive services. In addition to offering high-end servers in 10 different countries including Great Britain, Spain, Germany, and the United States, 1&1 provides its users every possible resource to create and maintain an optimal web presence, including domain registration, web hosting, site creation, technical support, and cutting edge technology. It was founded 26 years ago and has successfully established its product range in multiple international markets. Read this 1&1 review to learn more about this popular hosting provider.
- You can install popular software like WordPress, Drupal, Joomla, and many more with just one click.
- The company has affordable prices for all types of hosting solutions.
- You get some Bing/Yahoo ads credits for marketing purposes.
- WordPress hosting comes with a 20% discount on all themes at Template Monster.
- Free SSL certificate is included in all hosting plans.
- You get one free domain registration for the first year.
1&1 offers many features, from hosting services to domain name registration and assistance in creating your website with online marketing tools.
Anyone is capable of creating a website using the mywebsite feature that gives you access to the all-inclusive Internet address feature, Google optimization, and 20 million photos, designs, and text templates. You can also gain access to 1&1 ListLocal, which is where you can reach online customers with the option of having a presence in online directories and mobile apps, mobile navigation systems, and on Google with an immediate one-click listing, and so on.
1&1 has a 30-day money back guarantee and a 1-month trial period, as well as high-tech data centers with geo-redundancy. The company also offers marketing essentials such as Search Engine Marketing and SEO Spotlight, which will help rank your site in search engines and bring more traffic to your business.
Plans & Prices
1&1’s prices range from as low as $0.99 to $9.99 per month. It all depends on what you need for your online business. 1&1 offers affordable and comprehensive prices to suit all individuals and businesses.
The company offers a wide range of packages that include shared hosting, VPS hosting, and dedicated hosting. However, what makes this company shine is its managed WordPress hosting.
Shared hosting comes in three types of plans, including Unlimited, Unlimited Plus, and Unlimited Pro. You get to choose between Windows or Linux servers and all plans come with unlimited bandwidth, storage, websites, and a free domain name.
- Unlimited: 20 MySQL databases, 100 email accounts with 2GB storage per account, 20 FTP accounts, and 100 subdomains – $0.99 per month.
- Unlimited Plus: unlimited features from the previous plan – $4.99 per month.
- Unlimited Pro: all of the above, plus better performance with 2GB guaranteed RAM and 1&1 CDN with Railgun and expert app support – $8.99 per month.
Managed WordPress hosting comes in three different packages, including WP Basic, Plus, and Unlimited. All the plans include unlimited emails, automatic malware detection and removal, and automatic updates. All fresh websites come with some preinstalled plugins that will improve your site’s security, social integration, and SEO. If you’re new to setting up WordPress, there’s even a WordPress assistant that will guide you through the process of setting up your website.
- Basic: one WordPress website, 50GB SSD storage, 20 FTP accounts but no 1&1 CDN – $0.99/month.
- Plus: 5 WordPress websites, 250GB SSD storage, unlimited FTP accounts, 1&1 CDN, and 1&1 SiteLock Basic – $4.99/month.
- Unlimited: unlimited WordPress websites and unlimited storage – $8.99/month.
1&1 offers managed cloud hosting in three different plans that vary in the amount of RAM, disk space, and CPU available. One of the best features of this kind of hosting is that you can select your own stack by choosing the web server, data center, scripting language, and applications.
Dedicated Servers – the company has two tiers for Linux or Windows-based dedicated hosting. These dedicated servers provide you with 4GB of RAM, 750GB of storage, and unlimited monthly data transfers. You can choose to have full root access and configure the server yourself or you can opt for one of the pre-configured servers.
Customer & Technical Support
1&1 has 24/7 email and telephone customer support, as well as billing support. The company has minimized its waiting time to a maximum of 2 minutes whereas the email response time is less than 1 hour. While doing research for this 1&1 review, we contacted customer support several times and received answers to our questions in a timely manner. The support staff is friendly and knowledgeable, which is a big plus in the hosting industry.
To show customers that they are confident in their services, 1&1 offers a 30-day money back guarantee on all hosting plans. While other companies also promise to give you a full refund within 30 days of purchase, 1&1 stands out from the competition because their money back guarantee applies to all plans, as well as all fees, products, and services paid for during this time period.
- Rock solid uptime
- Good customer support
- No setup fee
- Basic and advanced hosting packages
- Linux or Windows-based servers
- Easy-to-use web creation tools
- The WebsiteBuilder tier requires you to add code to site templates